[nafex] Triazide questions

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 17:26:07 EDT 2013

   > Don't know about Triazide.  Is it as effective as Imidan against
     Apple Maggot and Codling Moth?  What kind of kickback are
     you talking about?<

Should be as affective, as I expect all pyrethroids are similar.  Asana
claims to be more weather proof than others because some vegetable oil is
in the formula but a decent sticker should more than compensate for that.
Asana  certainly takes care of AM and CM and I'm confident from many
exchanges from other growers that Triazide does also.

> Another problem with it is a short 2 year shelf life and it's impossible
> know how old it is when you purchase it.

    >  Are you referring to Imidan.  I was not aware of any shelf life
      >problem with it.   I have been using some of it that is several
      >years with no degradation of effectiveness.

No, I was talking about Triazide.  I'm sure Imidan lasts for years but you
can contact the manufacturer for specifics.

>I've heard conflicting reports as to whether or not it really works well
>against plum curculio.  Does anyone on the list have personal >experience?

I believe it works fine on PC because Asana does and because on the Garden
Web fruit and orchards forum many participating fruit growers have been
using it for years with great success on sites where they lose everything
to PC without it.  I suspect any controversy is the result of its short
shelf life.

Pyrethroids work better against stink bugs and other bugs than Imidan and
have a long residual quality even after the poison isn't killing- they are
irritants for a period of time after losing toxicity.  They are also more
than adequately affective against PC in home orchard conditions.  At least
as good as Imidan against Leps as well.

Imidan has kick-back by way of penetrating the small tunnels and killing
larva and eggs in the fruit.  None of the new pesticides does a real good
job of this, although the neonicinoid Assail is said to have some
kick-back.