[nafex] Pawpaw survival

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Thu Jul 11 06:37:04 EDT 2013

Interesting reading everyone.

Regarding the success of moving pawpaw sprouts, several of you have had
very good success with it and that surprises me. Most growers including myself
have failed at moving sprouts and seedlings. I talk with far more that
failed than successes. The failure rate is why most nurseries sell only potted
pawpaws, not bear root plants. Congratulations are in order.

I've been trying to establish pawpaws for a number of years in New
Mexico at 5000 feet. I seem to be seeing a pattern in which the plants
do OK the first season and then seem to diminish and die out the
second or third. I had a plant that leafed out real nicely this spring
with lots of big leaves, which then died off.     Jay

Jay,

What is your soil pH and summer time temps? Annual rain fall? Any leaf
discoloration?

East of the Mississippi River pawpaw does well in most areas from Florida
to New York and Michigan.

Jerry