[nafex] Cummins Nursery

Christopher Kennel ckennel at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 08:36:19 EST 2013

I headed at 18 inches because my espalier consists of overlapping "V" shapes, with each tree dividing into two trunks that grow at 45 degree angles.

I have another espalier with horizontal branches trained to wires, and I think the lowest laterals start at 2 feet with subsequent ones every foot.  I don't remember if I had to head these trees to get the lowest laterals to form, but I do remember starting with small trees for this espalier as well.

My success rate for trees from Cummins has been 100% so far, but I've only ordered around 20-25 trees from them.

All the best,
Chris Kennel
Denver, CO

> On Dec 14, 2013, at 9:48 PM, Wes Cherry <wes at dragonsheadcider.com> wrote:
>
> You will get anywhere from whips to well feathered trees.
>
> I have ordered from cummins 3 yrs in a row now.   I'm across the country and the trees have arrived safe n sound, even after spending a week on ups trucks.
>
> I have had 90-100% survival rate.   (I'm pretty sure the survival rate variance is due to my handling of the trees, as well as the condition of my soil at planting).
>
> Chris, a question:  why did you head at 18"?  Do you really want your primary laterals that low?
>
> -'//es
>
> Sent using the 4S
>
>> On Dec 14, 2013, at 6:05 PM, Christopher Kennel <ckennel at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You can specify your size preference when you order. For example when I set up an espalier I asked for very small trees so I could head them at 18 inches. I really like the service Cummins provides.
>>
>> All the best,
>> Chris Kennel
>>
>>> On Dec 14, 2013, at 5:05 PM, ak <akmanty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've heard good reports about doing business with Cummins.
>>> Question:  Is the tree you order quite small, more like a whip, or is it
>>> closer to bearing soonish?
>>> Karen
>>> WI