[nafex] Carmine Jewel question/choke-pin-nanking cherries

Sarah Kehler Ewing skkewing at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 7 14:54:56 EDT 2012

I know that: chokecherries are dark purple and hang in short stemmed racemes, Pincherries are bright red and hang alone or in small bunches on long stems like real cherries.  All three grow on our property so I am very familiar with all three cherries.

This is my original post copy-pasted from my sent file and it doesn't say 'pincherries" at all:

"I wouldn't describe the Carmine Jewel as sour!  The nankings may taste a
hair sweeter probably because they are lower in acid to begin with...
those U of S cherries have very high brix measurements, but they can
taste tart due to their high acid content when they are not fully and
completely ripe.  Make sure you are not picking CJ the minute it turns
red (they are very sour at that point!), they need to sit on the tree
for a while (weeks) longer and turn a dark red before they reach their
full sweetness for eating out of hand.  The same goes for all the rest
of the U of S cherries and for Evan's cherries: they all turn red a lot
sooner than I want to eat them!  We love eating them right off the tree

That said, even if you feel your CJ is too sour even when fully ripe, I wouldn't yank it out in favour of growing
only nankings.  I find that the nankings taste a lot like chokecherries
when processed into jam/jelly/syrup whereas the U of S and Evan's
cherries taste like real cherries when processed.  I also like to
include some real, high quality almond extract in my processed cherry
products and the feedback I'm getting says that the extract makes the
finished products taste better than the stuff made without the extract.  I've never put the extract in my nanking stuff so maybe that would help bump their taste a bit more into the cherry realm."

I noticed that the person who replied to my post said that I described the taste of nankings as like pincherries which I do agree with when they are both processed, but I didn't actually say.

Sarah