[nafex] Pruning first-year planted sweet-cherry trees.

Steven Covacci filtertitle at aol.com
Wed Aug 15 20:49:20 EDT 2012

Group:
I planted some grafted sweet-cherry trees this year and, at this point, all of them are forked/divided into two vertical main branches.  I think that having a crotch low on the tree is not good.. I'd like the tree to be shaped with a vertical central leader.
Should I, at this time, remove one of the two so that there is only one?  I did this with one, and now it's just a single trunk with leaves (no branches) going up 8'; next year, I'll allow it to put out branches.
Also, with rootstocks such as the Gisela series and New Root 1 (Zaiger), won't it happen that in a decade or a few decades, the scion will grow wider than the under-stock so that the scion will, eventually, break-off from the under-stock?
Thank you,
Steve; NJ