[nafex] NAFEX group on Facebook

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Thu Aug 9 13:51:31 EDT 2012

On Aug 9, 2012, at 1:19 PM, mIEKAL aND wrote:

> Rivka
>
> I'm just a messenger, in case people that had no issues with Facebook
> didn't know about the activity there.  I'm neither endorsing Facebook
> nor chiding people who are not on Facebook.  I do know lotsa people on
> Facebook who have their accounts locked down to a few people, have ad
> blockers, and essentially it is a very person-to-person messaging
> service.
>
> There is also a tremendous amount of resources on FB regarding fruit,
> nuts, exploring, trading, grafting, science etc.
>
> ~mIEKAL

I'm sure that's true. There are also more resources off FB in all of
those areas than I can keep up with.

If you'd just said "there are lots of NAFEX pictures on Facebook and
you can see at least some of them without signing in", I wouldn't have
answered. It's the info about the privacy settings I meant to answer
-- I'm sure it's possible to keep one's Facebook account locked down;
but the impression I have is that it's a timeconsuming nuisance to
accomplish this, and that it may have to be done again at any moment
whenever Facebook feels like revamping things.

If what I want is a person-to-person messaging service, or even a
messaging service working for a group, this is entirely possible to
accomplish without Facebook: which makes its money from keeping people
on Facebook as much of the time as possible. For those who want to use
Facebook to do it, I don't care; but I don't want to push an already
functioning group in that direction, quite possibly ruining its
existing function in the process; which is how I took your ending
comment quoted below, though you may not have meant it that way:

On Aug 9, 2012, at 11:43 AM, mIEKAL aND wrote:

>  In general much of the activity on the dozens of email lists I'm on
> seem to be shifting to FB.

People can cuirrently post pictures wherever they feel like, Facebook
included if they want to not lock the pictures down, and send the list
a link. That works. Shifting the list itself to FB, for at least some
of us, would not work.