[NAFEX] Pear recommendations for a single home tree?

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Thu Sep 15 13:48:36 EDT 2011

Jay, where do you plan to grow this pear? What are the conditions? I
gather you have land in two areas.

Clapp's is a couple of weeks earlier than Bartlett, a nice big pear,
good quality, fairly coldhardy, not a keeper, highly vulnerable to
fireblight. It is grown to some extent commercially here; a saleable
pollinator. It is grown with Flemish Beauty (big, very high fresh
quality but fireblight prone, flavour does not survive heating; dries
well, picks late Sept. here) near Brockville in the St. Lawrence valley
a little downstream from Lake Ontario; just a little too cold for
Northern Spy apple.

Among somewhat earlier pears, a friend raved about Beurre Precoce
Morettini in the Vineland collection, although from what I hear I think
it takes fireblight at least as readily as Bartlett.

Some years ago I identified locally two trees of what I think were
Tyson, and was most impressed with the fresh eating quality; did not try
preserving. They bore well with apparently no/minimal care, about 50
yards from an old commercial orchard (Bartlett with Duchesse D'Angouleme
pollinators). Tyson is reputed fairly cold-hardy and highly resistant to
fireblight. Picks about three days before Bartlett. Rather small
unthinned but not much worse than the nearby Bartlett. Trees available
from St. Lawrence Nursery
http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us
Judging from "The Pears of New York," Hedrick had a high opinion of Tyson.

Among Bartlett competitors I believe Sirrine, Sierrra and Highland (the
latter a Geneva Station cultivar) seem well regarded. Bierschmidt has
been spoken of very highly by NAFEX members, very thin skinned and does
not ship, Bartlett seedling, more cold hardy and more resistant to
fireblight.

Luscious is said to be a little smaller than Bartlett, a little better
flavoured, bred at Brookings, South Dakota.

Bosc is the number 2 commercial pear here; fireblight prone and not too
coldhardy, but very nice fresh quality, productive, good size.

Two or three years back in the archives you will find a discussion of
the Harrow pears. You could do worse considering their fireblight
resistance; one at least seems well regarded for quality. I see the
Fluffy One likes Harvest Queen.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada