[NAFEX] Pear recommendations for a single home tree?

sherwin sherwindu at att.net
Thu Sep 15 13:29:17 EDT 2011

    Miller's Nursery is way off target here on their recommendations for
Seckel
    Pears.  Emphasizing that Seckel needs TWO different pollinators is
bizarre.
    Every reference I have seen for Seckel state it is one of the few
pears that
    is somewhat self-fruitful.

    I grow a larger version of the Seckel called a Worden Seckel and
have had
    no issues with pollination, although it is the only pear tree in my
garden.
    It has been giving small numbers of fruit since planting it in 2007,
but this
    year it really took off.  I had to do lots of thinning to keep the
numbers
    down.  Because of not seeing many insects around, I did some hand
    pollination on itself, which may have added to this years production.
    There are some pear trees in neighbor's yards, but my feeling is that
     my Seckel was not cross pollinated with them due to the lack of
insects.

     The Seckel is a wonderful pear for taste.  I am getting more into
pears this
     year and plan to plant a Morettini and Clara Frije pear trees I
grafted last
     year.

                                     Sherwin Dubren
                                     Morton Grove, IL