[NAFEX] Pear recommendations for a single home tree?

Jay Cutts orders at cuttsreviews.com
Wed Sep 14 20:12:48 EDT 2011

Here's what I've found out so far about pears.  Lon - thanks for the
recommendation of Seckel

Looks like most pears require a pollinator, so the idea of a single pear
tree is out.  According to some sources (MIller's Nursery) Seckel
actually requires TWO different varieties other than itself. Anyone have
actual experience with this?

I'm looking at a variety called Clapp's Favorite. It fruits a month
earlier than pears such as Seckel and Beurre D'Anjou and yet apparently
can pollinate and be pollinated by these. Has anyone grown or eaten a
Clapp's? I'm wondering if it is great for fresh eating.

So I'm torn between trying to go with Seckel and only one other
pollinator and have all my pear trees ripen at the same time (or else
have Seckel not fruit at all) or to go with Clapp's and DAnjou and have
the season spread out. Danjou looks like it is good for storage though,
so I could keep those maybe for a number of months.

Help! Have I missed any other great pears?

I'm glad you guys understand this fruit thing.  I could never explain
this to my friends, let alone get any sympathy!

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's Test Prep Publications
800-353-4898 day or eve, 7 days
(In NM, 505-281-0684)