[NAFEX] Off Topic - Homemade carbonated drinks

david liezen chandos49 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 7 16:28:33 EDT 2011

As one of my biology profs told the class, yeasts are present all around us. They proliferate on many fruit surfaces. That is principally what you see as a whitish dusty coating on plums, cranberries, blueberries, elderberries and grapes, to name but a few. Some apples have more than others - so that it influences their names, such as Blue Pearmain. To the serious brewer, utilizing wild yeasts lends a level of risk into the mix, as we don't know what strain of yeast may dominate. If one wishes a particular result in the profile of the finished beverage, one opts for a specific commercially available yeast strain, or keeps a yeast at home alive.Dave Liezen