[NAFEX] Off Topic - Homemade carbonated drinks

Jay Cutts orders at cuttsreviews.com
Tue Sep 6 19:10:58 EDT 2011

Hi, David.

I looked up ale yeast and it is listed for temperatures up to about 77
degrees F.  Room temperature around here in the summer is more likely to
be in the high 80s and if I put it in the over with the oven light on,
it's probably 105.

Ale yeast looks like a top fermenter, which would make a lot of gunk at
the top of the jug and would come out as you poured off liquid. Bakers
and brewers yeast look like they stay on the bottom.

As for the difference between champagne yeast and bakers yeast, it looks
like the bakers gets off to a stronger start. If i were brewing over a
number of weeks or months, the champagne would last longer and continue
working as the alcohol content increased, whereas the bakers yeast can
only stand about 2%.

I might still try the champagne, though, as the taste might be milder.
Any other inputs, anyone?

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's Test Prep Publications
800-353-4898 day or eve, 7 days
(In NM, 505-281-0684)