[NAFEX] elderberries stem toxicity

John Bunker john.p.bunker at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 07:56:22 EDT 2011

We make elderberry juice.  We steam the berries and extract the
juice.  Then we freeze it and use it later.  It has a strong flavor
but we like it and it has never made us ill.  We have not tried eating
them uncooked.  One of our apprentices ate one S. pubens (Red Elder)
berry.  She decided not to do that again.

A friend taught us one way to remove the berries from the stems rather
easily.  Freeze the clusters, stems and all in a plastic bag.  Then
whack the bag against a counter or with a stick, etc.  Cut a small
hole in the corner of the bag and then "pour" out the berries.
JB

John Bunker
Fedco
trees at fedcoseeds.com