[NAFEX] More pucker than persimmons

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon Oct 10 01:39:48 EDT 2011

This is Sorbus domestica. Fresh from the tree it’s more puckery than a persimmon. Bump it to releases enzymes in it and let it sit for a few hours and it quickly loses the astringency and develops a flavor like rum. Used for juice and cider in Europe. I’ve never seen a worm in any of mine. Wood is so hard it can dull an axe.  The post in the picture is a  2x2 stake.
Grew them from seed that came from material from Luther Burbank.  I can provide seed.  Sent a batch to Ken Asmus at Oikos a couple of years ago, so he may have trees.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com  Winner  GWA "Best Talent in Writing"  2003.
Grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/