[NAFEX] NAFEX list & Google+ opportunity.

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Mon Oct 10 00:22:16 EDT 2011

On Oct 9, 2011, at 9:23 PM, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

> On 10/9/2011 8:25 PM, Chris Garriss wrote:
>> I would have some concern about the amount of personal information many
>> social networks "share" with or without the permission of the individual.
>> Location in real time, likes, dislikes, pictures, friends,  relatives etc.
>
> That is limited to what you put in your profile and where you want your
> profile to be made accessible . . .

There are some concerns with Google+ and privacy, but they mostly are an issue for people who don't use their legal name on at least some of their internet activity. Google+'s implementation of it's "real name" policy leaves something to be desired. I know of at least one person who had tried to use a nickname. Google+ somehow guessed at his "real name", got it wrong, but then put that name not only on his Google+ account but also on some other Google services he used, (which were already published to other people) without warning him it would do so.

That being said, I use Google+, and agree that it is in many ways better than Facebook. If you create a Google+ presence for NAFEX, I would like to join. You will have an awkward issue that few NAFEX users use a gmail account on NAFEX, so all these people (including me) will need to subscribe to the NAFEX group with a different email account than they use for the mailing list. But I'm sure the details can be worked out.

Ginda Fisher
Eastern MA, zone 6, where the unusual weather has convinced some plants that it is spring. Oh - and on a fruit note - I roto-tilled and re-seeded part of my lawn this fall. Lots of weeds are sprouting among the grass seeds. The most peculiar "weed" is tomatoes. I have tomato seedlings everywhere. I guess the chipmunks that have eaten my entire crop have been spreading seeds, and some of those seeds were even ripe enough to sprout. Who knew?