[NAFEX] Illinois Everbearing Mulberry

Richard D Hansen rdhans01 at louisville.edu
Thu May 26 12:20:12 EDT 2011

I thought IE was more hardy than that. For some reason I thought Jim
Fruth (or maybe someone else) had a couple of trees growing in MN.  It
is a beautiful tree with really large leaves.  The fruit is pretty good
too although it doesnt have some of the tang of some wild ones here
locally. This year I got the best crop ever.  I purchased mine from
Burnt Creek nursery several years ago and lost the original tree to the
big spring freeze that happened several years ago. However, the year
before the freeze, because I wanted another tree, I followed the
suggestion made here on this list, to take a 2-4 ft section of last
years growth and bury all but a few inches. It rooted and grew perfectly
and now I have a really nice tree from the original.

Richard Hansen

I just put in a row of Illinois Everbearing to see if I could convince
the
birds to let me pick enough fruit to make wine.  I'm right on the edge
of
hardiness for I.E. so it will be interesting to see if I can keep them
alive.

~mIEKAL