[NAFEX] Frost-resisting apricots grown in Siberia?

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Mon May 23 21:59:53 EDT 2011

I don't know anything about the availability of the Baikalov cultivars
of apricot or anything else in North America. Given the likelihood that
they would be mostly of interest to home growers, and given the contempt
that many professionals (and perhaps more significantly their
administrators and political masters) seem to entertain for home growers
and their suppliers, I am inclined to doubt it.

I surmise that the institutions that might be interested are the U. of
Minnesota, the U. of Saskatchewan, and possibily Agriculture Canada St.
Jean/Frelighsburg in Quebec.

Because of the different climate and in particular possibly more regular
spring weather in Siberia (?), one would want to test these cultivars
thoroughly in North America.

 From a Rumanian publication, it is said that the different cultivars of
apricots ripen from early August to late September and that the names of
six of them are:
Sibereak Baikalova
Gornii Abakan
Saianskii
Sibirsk Vostocino
Severnoe Sieanie
Gordosti Hakasii

The republic's name is usually spelled in English, Khakassia or
sometimes Khakasiya. It is in south central Siberia (see Wikipedia) and
the capital is Abakan. The population of the republic is a little over
half a million, mostly ethnic Russians.

The "thornless gooseberries, high-yielding honeyberries, and longkeeping
apples" would also be of interest.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada