[NAFEX] Plum curculio, live stock as possible control.

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Sun May 8 10:02:20 EDT 2011

In a message dated 5/7/2011 2:08:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Docshiva at Docshiva.org writes:

> I read a report on using hogs in orchards to sharply reduce plum curculio
> problems - the hogs eat their habitat.

Having any livestock that would eat the fallen infected fruit would give
good control of plum curculio. The life cycle of PC is 30 days. The fruit gets
infected, is aborted, falls to the ground where the larva enters the soil
to pupate, then emerge as a moth fly into the tree, infect more fruits which
fall to the ground and the cycle is repeated multiply. Livestock eating the
fallen fruits breaks the cycle.

Jerry