[NAFEX] evans-bali cherry

Steve sdw12986 at aol.com
Fri Jul 29 00:39:31 EDT 2011

When I bought the Bali Cherry from Bill Mackentley (St Lawrence
Nurseries) I didn't know that it was the same as Evans. I found that out
years later. I did know back then that he imported the cultivar from an
original source in Canada. He named it after his younger daughter. (He
named a pear after his older daughter, Nova.)
Personally, I don't think he should have renamed it if it was already
being called Evans. Maybe no one else was selling it on the US side of
the border back then and he was trying to coin a new name for it here.
That's just a guess, I don't know.

Steve