[NAFEX] How hardy is Carmine Jewel?

Caren Kirk quirky at videotron.ca
Wed Jul 27 15:41:46 EDT 2011

  Ernest, I second Sarah's comments about the U of S cherries'
hardiness. I've had my Carmine Jewel for about 5 years now and a Romeo
and Crimson Passion for about 3 and despite having very different and
varied weather conditions throughout those years and seasons, I've never
had any hardiness problems with them.

Sarah mentioned poor soils but they are planted in amended clay in my
yard and they seem fine. I don't fertilize them though.

The only issue I have had with them happened this year. My first taste
of brown rot. Lost about a third of my crop to it because I was too dumb
to work out what it was until a bit too late. It was my first experience
with it. Still, now I know. And I still had enough cherries to make some
fantastic pies!

Sorry about your plants, better luck with those that are left.

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome, QC