[NAFEX] Plum Curculio & Peach Tree Damage

Richard L. Wagner rewagner at centurytel.net
Tue Jul 26 19:11:10 EDT 2011

When we first moved here six years ago I planted about 100 assorted
fruit trees in a home orchard plot. About a week before deer season was
to open all but three were destroyed in a single night by bucks (we had
15 deer at once in our yard on several ocassions) and those three were
so mangled they may as well have been dead. I have since erected an 8
ft fence4 and replanted about 50 trees. No more deer problems but
something worse.

I have been spraying with Bonide as it was recommended by local
garden/feed store. If I can find Imidan I will try it..

When we moved here we loved this country (except for the ticks and
chiggers,  I am now scarred for life) and the summer rain and green
grass. I never envisioned how bad the pest and disease problem would
be. If it isn't fungus and bacteria on the ornamentals it is everything
else on everything else. I spent 62 years in the fruit regions of
California and Oregon. No one knew what chiggers were and only once had
I seen a tick, a single one on my dog, after a day of quail hunting in
the blackberry thickets along the Umpqua River in Oregon. I had plums,
cherries, apricots and, peaches and never sprayed. My only problem was
the codling moths on the pears and apples but since they were for my
own consumption I just ate around the hole.

Oh well life is short. At least it won't last forever.