[NAFEX] Multiple figs in the same hole - good idea?

Steven Covacci filtertitle at aol.com
Fri Jul 8 01:52:22 EDT 2011

Group:

I was considering putting a few varieties of figs in the same hole: 4 to 6 varieties).  I suspect that they would all fuse (inosculate) into a single shrub-tree of various varieties, wherein the more vigorous varieties will eventually do better then the others, unless pruned to avoid this; and if in zone 6, eventually all of them will die to the ground and balance among the varieties will for a while begin anew.

IF this is a good idea, this may be a great way to determine different degrees of cold-resistance among cultivars since, in this case, all cultivars will be in approximately the same conditions, uniformly.

I'm looking forward to what everyone who responds to this one will say.

Steve; NJ 6b/7a

4 months to go until American persimmons.... just saying.. haha.