[NAFEX] Fw: hello, been away a looong time..

Amelia Hayner abhayner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 15:22:54 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Kieran &/or Donna
<holycow at frontiernet.net>wrote:

>  Amy,  Comments below.  Donna
>

   >Now that my husband is "retired" -- his job at papermill folded up with
> the mill--- we want to grow stuff to eat, that's not extremely fussy and
> high maintenance.
> You are probably fortunate to have it happen early rather than later.

--------well, yes. I think that too, now that we are getting more adjusted
to being around each other ALL THE TIME. His thing is the garden, mine are
the fruit trees. and I really want to get them, and grapes started, this
year.

-------okay, looking for them now....

 >do sour cherries HAVE to be that sour???

>  Did it have red juice?  They are more sour.  Montmorency has clear juice,
> and is sort of edible raw.  Doesn't take as much sugar as a morello type.

------- I think Surefire does have red juice. I think they could bottle the
stuff as degreaser, or something industrial like that.
have you ever had one of those completely YELLOW cherries? they say they are
delicious, but that could be open to interpretation.

> >oops, forgot about peaches.
> Are the very early-bearing types from Univ of FL suited for this area??
> Probably not, but check chill hours and compare to what you get where you
> are.

------- well,  you see, I have this Very Warm Spot that I am saving for
something precious. It's in front of a metal shed, facing due south... I
have even been eye-balling the Mexican type avocados..  no harm in just
looking....

> >Raintree advertises a plum that gets ripe in oct. - is that true?? even in
> hot summer areas???
> No, it's true for up where they are.

------well, thank you for that. One less idea rattling around in my head
now.

>  .
>
> >And I have taught as many people as I can get to stand still long enough,
> how to graft.
> just like I promised you that I would.
> I am sure there will be a place for you in Heaven.

-------please let it be inbetween a mango tree, and an avocado, and I
PROMISE no one will hear a peep out of me.
Amy