[NAFEX] Aronia Use

mIEKAL aND qazingulaza at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 16:04:06 EST 2011

For 20 years the birds never touched my aronia, then in 2009 the
robins discovered them & now I have to fight them off.  They actually
completely cleared a couple of the plants that I have in the open.

Aronia is also being encouraged widely for organic growers since they
are essentially disease free.  A couple of the larger growers have
said there is a disease they are starting to see whose name I forget,
but these are larger monocultural planting so I don't find that all
that surprising.  For polyculture permaculture planting aronia is no
brainer.

I also allow a certain amount to dry on the bushes & they make a tangy
raisin & a lot of the astringency goes out of them.  But for all but
the intrepid, they will never be an out of hand fruit.

~mIEKAL