[NAFEX] Pawpaw seed questions

Ron Powell, PhD Botrytis at fuse.net
Sat Jan 22 17:41:33 EST 2011

Adrienne,

I hope that my response will be of some help.  I have had several requests
this year for pawpaws that are hardy in zone 4 but really can't answer that
question with any personal experience.  I do know that there are several
locations of pawpaws being grown in zone 4 but do not produce fruit with any
regularity.  If the growing  season is long enough then fruit has a chance
to ripen.  Several ways have even proposed to develop pawpaws that would be
hardy but it would still be years away from fruition.  There are a number of
"hardy" named cultivars of pawpaws in the trade - NC-1 (Campbell #1,
Canada's Best) is a cross between Davis and Overleese and was developed in
Ontario.  Davis is from Michigan as is Taylor and Taytwo.  Unfortunately,
these cultivars are not grown on their own roots.

I don't know of a source for pawpaw seeds from zone 4 but I would suggest
that you speak to Ernie Grimo of Grimo Nut Nursery.  They do have a web
site.  He is in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario.  He may know of a source for
wild pawpaw seeds.  Since you are looking for a source of pawpaw seeds that
would be hardy in zone 4, I would suggest that you purchase or collect seeds
from a source in southern Ontario.

The pawpaw seeds should have been cleaned, some moist peat, vermiculite or
sand added, and placed in a refrigerator.  The seeds need several months of
stratification to germinate.  For further information on pawpaw seeds, visit
the OPGA web site, Ohiopawpaw.com, and you can download a publication on
pawpaw Seeds.

Ron
OPGA