[NAFEX] Prunus virginiana???????

Scott Weber and Muffy Barrett bluestem_farm at juno.com
Tue Jan 4 22:59:08 EST 2011

Britton and Brown were splitters extraordinaire.  I think very few taxonomy students in WI pay much attention to it now, although they have just finished a considerable round of re-splitting genera here.   I consult our copy of B&B  (Dover re-print of the 1913 edition) regularly because it has pictures which can help, but for taxonomy I go elsewhere.  Most commonly Fernald (Gray's manual of Botany), Swink and Wilhelm (Plants of  the Chicago Region) or the UW herbarium website.  Others use Gleason and Chronquist (sp?) but we haven't made that investment yet.   I'd expect people in other states to have their own local favorites.  And yes, I'm one of many NAFEXers who call chokecherry Prunus virginiana.
Muffy BarrettWisconsin

No exceptions.

NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/
Globe Life Insurance