[NAFEX] Does the NAFEX Apricot Interest Group still exist?

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Sat Jan 1 13:01:21 EST 2011

On Jan 1, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Bill Garthright wrote:

>> What got me started on fruit was that I originally wanted to grow some apricots in my yard. ... I'm in St. Paul, Mn which should be zone 4a.
>

> I'm in zone 5, so my experience might not be useful. But my apricots grow great here. The problem is that they almost never produce fruit, because the blossoms freeze. They don't seem to have any problem with our winters, but here on the Great Plains, the spring weather is too variable. We almost always get warm weather followed by a cold snap. And whereas my plums and pluots can usually take that just fine during bloom, my apricots can't.

I have a Puget Gold in zone 6, eastern MA.  Well, I have a baby, because the first one mysteriously died (consensus was either borers or a fungus that causes ooze.)  A friend in Cambridge, MA, has a large one that's been fruiting for years.  (Cambridge is a little milder than where I live, 15 miles inland.)

We also have variable springs.  The apricot blooms very early, and there's often a frost during it's bloom time.  it seems to fruit anyway.  I don't think we've ever had a really hard killing frost while it is in bloom, but most years there are a couple of nights below freezing during or after its bloom.

The squirrels love it, and if the new one fruits I doubt I'll get any.  My friend in Cambridge gets gazillions of apricots, and the squirrels destroy about 1/3 of his crop, but he still gets more than he knows what to do with.

Ginda