[NAFEX] Does the NAFEX Apricot Interest Group still exist?

Bill Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Sat Jan 1 12:33:24 EST 2011

> What got me started on fruit was that I originally wanted to grow some
> apricots in my yard. ... I'm in St. Paul, Mn which should be zone 4a.

I'm in zone 5, so my experience might not be useful. But my apricots
grow great here. The problem is that they almost never produce fruit,
because the blossoms freeze. They don't seem to have any problem with
our winters, but here on the Great Plains, the spring weather is too
variable. We almost always get warm weather followed by a cold snap. And
whereas my plums and pluots can usually take that just fine during
bloom, my apricots can't.

For the record, I've got a Goldcot and a "Super Hardy Chinese" (also
called Mormon or Chinese Golden, I think) apricots. The Goldcot is a
beautiful little tree, really lovely. Last year was the only year I had
apricots from either one, and the Goldcots were very small. I suppose I
didn't thin them enough. The Chinese apricots were much larger and also
very abundant. But unless I can delay their blooming, I'm not expecting
apricots again for awhile.

PS. Note that the squirrels really did a number on my apricots, despite
the electric wire I've set up around them. As it turns out, they don't
eat the fruit. They just destroy them to get to the seed. I've heard
that some apricots have edible seed and some don't, but I don't know if
that applies to squirrels or not. If it does, well, that would make a
huge difference here.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
In real life, as a nation these days, we can achieve next to nothing.
But in the Bourne movies just one of us, grim, muscular and photogenic,