[NAFEX] good tasting paw paws

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Fri Feb 25 11:20:23 EST 2011

In a message dated 2/24/2011 10:49:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
debs913 at gmail.com writes:

> Tell hubbie that paw paws are understory trees and will grow better at
> the
> fringe of the woods.

I'd like to submit that isn't totally correct. They are understory because
a seed planted in full sun almost always fails. That is why they are
understory, the new seedlings are shaded. But once they are over maybe 10 inches
they thrive in full sun and just as other fruit tree species produce best in
full sun. All my (over 200 trees) are in full sun and were shaded from the
sun the first year. A 12 inch tree tube works well. Once they grow out the top
they are immune to the sun's rays.

Jerry