[NAFEX] good tasting pawpaws

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 23:54:21 EST 2011

Miekal,
Perhaps the issue for pawpaw ripening is not length of growing season
(counted in days), but accumulated heat units during the growing
season.  Pawpaw trials around the country were established in the
1990s.  Of the 17 or so cultivars grown in Corvallis, Oregon, most
never ripened during the summer I was there.  Not due to freezes on
either ends of the season I suspect, but lack of heat.  So planting
in, and/or creating warm microclimates may help.  Similar to tricks
used for ripening figs or citrus in less than optimal areas.
Richard Moyer
SW VA