[NAFEX] Spring Hopes Eternal

david liezen chandos49 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 23 19:45:18 EST 2011

   Deb asked what is to be tried this season.

This year looms large in my view. I placed an order from Nick Botner for 17 cultivars of apple scions:

Campfield, Court Pendu Plat, D'Arcy Spice, Duchess of Oldenburg, Erwin Baur, Golden Russet, Greensleeves, Harrison, Karmijn de Sonnaville, King Edward VII, Lady (Pomme d'Api), Lord Lambourne, Rambour Franc, Red Belle de Boskoop, Tydeman's Late Orange, Wickson Crab, Winston.
Some of these I plan to graft into my yard and the rest graft into an orchard near town.

Also ordered for my yard, from Greenmantle: Lord Lambourne benchgrafted onto Bud9 and D'Arcy Spice benchgrafted onto Bud118 (or Mm111 if they are short of Bud118).

Two apple experts agreed to send me scionwood, for Granite Beauty from New Hampshire, and Rolfe from Maine.

I still hope to order from Raintree a black currant: Ben More, and a rhubarb: Crimson Cherry (the rhubarb root for only $5.95), as well as a pear rootstock to graft onto for a friend.

This is rather ambitious, for I've not tried my hand at grafting besides a first try at chip bud grafting last summer, which went quite well. Worth studying and trying my best.

Guess you could say I'm in exploration mode...

Dave Liezen, E. WA z6, where 3" snow fell today so far and another deep freeze (minus 2) is forecast.