[NAFEX] Mystery apple trees

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Mon Feb 14 23:22:03 EST 2011

On Feb 14, 2011, at 11:08 PM, Alan Yelvington wrote:

> I live in NW PA and there are abandoned family orchards all over the place.  People tell me that the tree's a Northern Spy or whatever;  Some of these trees are OLD standard trees, but I never see a graft union on the trunks.  Do the grafts eventually disappear, or did the scion take over and the tree "go standard" on them?
>
> Al Yelvington
> Russell, PA

When you plan to grow a standard tree anyway, it's common to plant the tree with the graft below ground level, to encourage the scion to develop its own roots.  Own rooted plants are generally better than plants with random seedling rootstocks, which is what is commonly used for standard trees.  You don't have to worry about possible late graft incompatibility, and if the tree is somehow killed, it can grow back from the roots, and if you are lucky, you will get the desired cultivar.

Ginda