[NAFEX] Grafting kolomikta onto arguta kiwi

Alexander Brands abb7 at Lehigh.EDU
Mon Feb 14 09:57:53 EST 2011

> Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 12:52:13 -0600
> From: Dan Nave <nave1 at comcast.net>
> To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Actinidia kolomitka
>
> I was reading up on chip-budding and the article I saw indicated
> that Actinidia (kiwi) could be chip-budded.
>
> I wonder if you could grow the Argutas on a rootstock of Kolomikta.
> If that works, you might be able to use the existing roots to grow
> another variety, and possibly dwarf the Argutas.
>
> Just thinking out loud, so to speak  ...I mean, write.
>
> Dan

This gives me the idea to allow another shoot of my Arguta to grow,
then graft Kolomikta on it below the canopy of the Arguta.  That way,
the Arguta provides shade for the Kolomikta.

My Arguta is still filling out the arbor, I suppose the shade might be
too dense once it is mature.  How much light does Kolomikta need to
fruit?

Alex
Zone 6, Pennsylnvania