[NAFEX] heirloom apple varieties versus modern

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Fri Feb 4 18:54:11 EST 2011

On Feb 4, 2011, at 6:28 PM, Alan Haigh wrote:

> Baldwin used to be my favorite apple but the warm autums we've been having a lot of lately aren't conducive to it getting to best quality.

I was never really impressed by Baldwins, but I'd only had them at PYO places that tend to let everything be picked under-ripe.  A perfectly fine apple, but unexciting.  This year I was shopping late in the season for apples, from a small orchard that picks and sells its own fruit, and they had a sign on the Baldwins that said "traditional pie apple".  So I bought some.

Wow!  They were terrific.  A nice apple-y apple to eat out of hand, and it cooked up to an excellent flavor and texture.  I will be buying more next year.

I live a bit north of you, and perhaps our weather was better for them than yours this year.

Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6
(but the apples were grown a bit west of my location, and might have been from zone 5)