[NAFEX] Tree clones from different nurseries grow differently

Michael Dossett phainopepla at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 27 17:30:45 EDT 2011

Richard,  what you say is true, microenvironment can play a huge difference that is sometimes overlooked, but I think Alex really hit it spot on.  While plants cannot be "trained" as you say, the environment plays a HUGE role in gene expression and regulation, and can create different phenotypes because of environment even when exactly the same genes are present.  Science is only just beginning to uncover this and understand it.  There was an excellent episode of NOVA a year or so ago called "ghost in your genes" that talks about epigenetics and gave some amazing examples of how environmental influence of gene expression affects not only the individual acted upon by a particular environment but can also lead to long lasting heritable changes that can be observed in the offspring even generations later.  Here is a link to the page about this episode on the PBS website.  If you click on the link "A tale of two mice" there is an good example about
 how two genetically identical twin mice not only look very different but how epigentic changes affect differences in there health.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/genes/

There are also clips from the episode on YouTube, but really anyone with an interest in this should order the video of the episode because it is really eye-opening to see how (an example from the show) going through a famine in child hood can affect the genetic propensity for obesity a couple of generations later.  This aspect of gene regulation really is the cutting edge of genetics research today.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Mission, British Columbia (zone 7)
www.Mdossettphoto.com