[NAFEX] Question

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Wed Aug 10 08:27:49 EDT 2011

On Aug 10, 2011, at 12:50 AM, Ginda Fisher wrote:

> Email is "push" and a forum is "pull". Email just shows up on my
> computer, and tells me it exists (you have 8 unread messages in your
> NAFEX folder) whereas I need to actively click on a link to even
> know if there's been any activity on the forum.

This is at least half of it, I think. Adding the nuisance of having to
log on each time (again, my browser is set to clear all personal info
on closing and I shut the computer down at night, so yes, I would need
to log on at least once a day, even if it works for some other people
to remain permanently logged in) and I am just much less likely to
bother.

Some of the other half is that I find it much easier to respond by
email: because I choose my email program, and it works the way I want
and the way I'm used to. Message boards use different setups, and it's
the board that chooses the setup, so I'm generally trying to work in a
format that's in one way or another harder for me to use. In the
course of composing one reply on a board I may run into several minor
nuisances; they are usually all minor, but it adds up, and
significantly reduces the chances that I'll bother.

And the rest is that I can set up my own email so that the email
discussion is automatically saved on my computer unless/until I decide
to delete it. In order to save a forum discussion locally, I have to
actively copy and paste the information over. Yes, I know it's
supposedly saved by the forum servers; but a) this doesn't work if I
want to look something up while the internet connection's down, which
happens from time to time and b) archives have been known to disappear
or become inaccessible for various reasons; having the info saved both
in the online archives and locally makes it less likely for it to be
permanently lost.

I guess that by now we've just totally lost all the fruit explorers
who for one reason or another aren't online at all?