[NAFEX] Grafting Tools

sherwin dubren sherwindu at att.net
Sat Apr 9 15:57:47 EDT 2011

There has been some discussion of late among members of Midfex as
to the relative merits of using a grafting tool in place of a knife.

I tried to search Nafex by googling and also did some spot checking
on the archives for mention of the use of this tool, but could find
nothing.  Either I missed it, or Nafex people are just not interested
in these tools.

Midfex teaches grafting with a knife and we occasionally get some
injuries with the beginners.  Some members are pushing for these tools
as an alternative.  I have never used one, but hear they have
limitations, especially on smaller size wood.  I have also seen
discussion sites where people say they don't work.  I have heard that
commercial orchards and some mail order nurseries use them, but is this
a tool that would work well for the backyard orchardist?

               Sherwin Dubren
               Morton Grove, IL