[NAFEX] electric sprayers

Richard MURPHY murphman108 at msn.com
Tue Apr 26 18:01:09 EDT 2011

Hello Squad;

I'm looking to replace / upgrade my electric sprayer. It is a 12 volt model from Agri- Fab, and all it has done for me is to 'work poorly' and Break !!! What a P.O.S. this thing is! Anybody wanting the gory details can see me off-list.

The tank, 25 gallon polypropylene, is fine. The tires are fine. The pump would be plenty for somebody spraying Round Up etc. as it has a boom on the back. Or, spot spraying bushes. For 120 trees on M111 and M7, it doesn't have the guts. The pressure switch shuts it off at 45 PSI, and the pump's max flow rate is 1.8 GPM. Having never bought a sprayer before, it seemed like the right thing at the time; and it was (when it worked) for trees 3' to 8' high. My advice: KEEP LOOKING !!

I think I need to DOUBLE the GPM and Boost the PSI to 60. No boom needed, as I will keep the crappy sprayer for ground spraying.
Northern Tool Co. has a neat looking 'Tree Sprayer' for $299.  No wheels, but we can make some. The thing has a 5.5 GPM pump, but it pulls 17 amps at max load. Not sure if my Cub Cadet or Quad will handle that...

Do any of you own / know of a decent, tow-along electric sprayer with at least 3 GPM flow and 45 or more PSI ???
The alternative is to buy a stronger pump for my P.O.S., but doing so might break even more parts !!

Battling the Winter Moth Caterpillars here in z6 MA. Garlic is up, multi-onions are up, Dunbars Plums have tons of flower buds for the first time, and it will be interesting to see what they do. They also survived z4 Maine.

Murph

R A Murphy Jr