[NAFEX] rooting Red Currants

Brungardt, Sam (MPCA) sam.brungardt at state.mn.us
Mon Apr 18 13:54:27 EDT 2011

Ginda, I think cuttings should still root this spring even though the buds on the plant are beginning to break.  Spade up a spot where the soil's friable, in full sun or partial shade.  Take cuttings of last season's growth asap, trying to have at least 5 nodes.  Snip the terminal bud off each cutting.  Stick the cuttings in the area you've worked up, apical end up, with one or more buds sticking out of the ground.  Water the cuttings in well.  Water whenever the soil appears dry and pull any weeds that come up among the cuttings.  The cuttings should be well rooted by late summer. -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA hardiness zone 4b).