[NAFEX] Off topic: eating rabbits and tularemia

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Mon Apr 11 10:36:47 EDT 2011

In a message dated 4/11/2011 9:11:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
6ducks at gmail.com writes:

> I have thought about eating some of our surplus rabbits, but was under
> the
> impression that Tularemia (which can be contracted through handling wild
> rabbits) was a significant enough issue in the Midwest that I have avoided
> direct contact.

Hi Ducky Michele,

The Indiana DRN has one paragraph about it at:
http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/cottontail.pdf

They are safe to eat when well cooked. If one has an open sore or break in
the skin that the rabbits blood can enter, rubber gloves should be used when
dressing out. If the rabbit is sickly, runs very slow or shows signs of
being unhealthy don't chance it. Ticks can also carry the disease.

Lucky P. might weigh in on this.

Jerry