[NAFEX] Zone hardiness of Shellbark Hickories

Richard D Hansen rdhans01 at louisville.edu
Sun Apr 3 23:03:58 EDT 2011

The MN Landscape arboretum (sone 4) has several nice specimens that
regularly bear nuts that have a seed source originating from IL (I
believe) that are growing very nicely.  They are in a fairly protected
location but I never saw any winter injury on them whenever I visited
there.  Depending on the seed source, I would guess that they would do
find in Zone 4, especially if they were in a protected location.

Richard Hansen
Zone 6b

What's the zone hardiness of Shellbark Hickories?
I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Anne