[NAFEX] zone 4 pawpaw update

loneroc loneroc at countryspeed.com
Wed Sep 29 06:31:04 EDT 2010

mIEKAL et al,

The U of Wisconsin Arboretum in Madison has Iowa "native" pawpaws that ripen
every year and, based on my few tastes, are small but were tropical custardy
in flavour.  In one of my chats with the Director Emeritus, Ed Hasselkus, he
said that there was a reasonable possibility that the Iowa plants originated
from seeds spat out by railroad passengers since the plants are generally
found near the tracks.  Of course pawpaws are often found in river bottoms,
just where tracks run, so the distributional correlation could merely be
coincidence.

Of course there those who theorize that all northernmost pawpaws in the
country originated through deliberate planting by Indians.  This would
explain why many of the best tasting fruit come from the northern part of
the range---these trees have been filtered through human taste buds rather
than selected by the coons, possums and mastodons who are/were the most
frequent consumers further south.  These critters may have less
discriminating pawpaw palates than  we do.

I've grown pawpaws for many years here in zone 3 in SW Wisconsin.  The
plants survive, but I've never seen a fruit.  The trees (of Iowa, Illinois
and Michigan origin) kill to the ground in winter about half of time and
have to resprout from secondary buds in many of the years where the wood
survives above the snowline (not too many snowy winters around here any
more).  Every now and then there's no damage but since the growth never
makes it past 6-7 feet there's no fruit to be had.  Sigh.

Steve  Herje  Lone Rock, WI USA, USDA zone 3, with a maximum winter low
of -43F or so in the twelve years I've lived in this cold place, and an all
time low of -53F--the coldest temperature ever recorded at a US Weather
Service station up to that time.  It's probably been surpassed elsewhere by
now.  Five miles away as the crow flies, they get peaches most years---Zone
5 on the bluff tops.  My 10 Siberian C peaches only ever produced one flower
from the whole lot.  They are gone.