[NAFEX] Autumn Olive Harvest and 'Garnet'

John S swim_at_svc at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 10 09:57:59 EDT 2010

A couple of years ago, I posted here that I was disappointed with Autumn Olive 'Garnet'.  Just as an update, I have found that it is a bit later ripening then the wild ones around here.  Once ripened, it has a nice sweet taste with minimal bitterness.  Unfortunately, my two trees never produce nearly as much as the wild ones in the area.

This year, however, all of the wild AO's I can visit have minimal fruit and they are more bitter than normal.  A disappointment, because with the rain this summer and the warm spring, I was expecting a big harvest and good quality.  The berries are larger than normal.

How's the AO's doing in the rest of the country?