[NAFEX] Zone 4/3 Blackberries

John Bunker john.p.bunker at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 13:55:34 EST 2010

Hello all,

Interesting discussion.  Most  - perhaps all -commercial blackberries
are not hardy enough to fruit regularly in zone 4 as far as I can
tell.  Over the years we have discovered a small number of old large-
fruited cultivated varieties in central and even northern Maine.  When
the blackberries are in bloom, study the roadsides and you will be
rewarded from time to time.  This past season was a banner year up
this way.  We find them on abandoned farm sites and as heirlooms on
old family farms.  They usually no longer have a varietal name,
although most probably did so long ago.  We trial them around amongst
ourselves and offer them in the catalog from time to time.  While easy
to propagate in small quantities from root pieces, blackberries are
not super easy to propagate in large quantities without resorting to
TC. We have worked with Tim Nourse (Nourse Farms) in the past in that
regard and may do so again this year with one that we like very
much.   Check out our catalog now and then if interested, or contact
me off-list.

Best regards,
John Bunker
Fedco