[NAFEX] Wild Prunus (North American plums and sour cherries) -taste reviews.

Hélène Dessureault interverbis at videotron.ca
Mon Nov 29 10:20:30 EST 2010

Claude
In the Gatineau Hills north of Ottawa, we have Prunus pensylvanica (pin
cherry) and Prunus virginiana (choke cherry) growing wild. They both grow
well in sandy acidic soil and need to be controled as they both spread
extensively through the roots as well as through seeds which the birds
spread all over.
In my observation here,  pin cherry is the worst of the two when it comes to
being affected by black knot.
Generally, pin cherry is tall and thin in appearance, bearing small bright
red cherries with yellow orange acidic flesh and a relatively big pit on
individual stems ripening in July...
Choke cherry is a big bush size tree, bearing red purple cherries with
yellow orange flesh with a distinctive mouth puckering tannic taste growing
in a cluster ripening at the beginning of September... Here, the choke
cherries are larger than the pin cherries, even though the former is a
cluster and the later is an individual fruit. Pin cherry is a short live
tree which spreads, and here it is often affected by a big black knot which
can ooze an orangey jelly, quite disgusting. Luckily, the black knot is
usually low and can be treated with an organic fungicide to some extent.

I have never used pin cherries in cooking (they are small and difficult to
reach to pick in quantity), but I often make choke cherry jelly and a less
sweet choke cherry concentrate to make sauces to accompany meat dishes,
which replaces quite nicely the red wine in sauce.

I have Hansen cherries (developed Saskatchewan breeding station) which
behaves as choke cherry in growing habit (a bush which spreads by the roots
extensively) with the cherries more like a very large pin cherry in
appearance (more sweet though). My Hansen is also sensitive to black knot
which I control somewhat by spraying with a sulfur base fungicide. My Hansen
spread so fast that I am about to start a row, just by transplanting the off
shoots. I quite like the taste.

Hélène, zone 3-4, with snow on the ground.