[NAFEX] Newtown Spitzenburg apple

John Bunker john.p.bunker at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 07:10:31 EST 2010

Dave,

I've tasted most of the apples in the Tower Hill Botanical Garden
collection.  Newtown Spitzenburg is one with a  very distinctive,
superior dessert flavor.  I have been reluctant to do much with it in
Maine, being uncertain of its hardiness and adaptability to more
northern districts.  I did put a branch on one of our trees up here a
few years ago and it has done fine so far.  No indication of scab to
speak of.  We never spray for scab.  If a variety gets a bit of it,
that's OK.  If a variety gets a lot of it, it's out.  Most of the
heritage varieties, by the way, are only marginally susceptible.  If
you keep the Macs and Mac-types out of the orchard (Cortland, Macoun,
Empire, Brock, Spencer, etc etc) you can largely keep your orchard
under control with no scab sprays at all.  I should also mention that
another variety from the Tower Hill Collection with extremely
distinctive and excellent dessert qualities is Sutton (or Sutton
Beauty).  Another favorite.

Regards,
John Bunker
Fedco