[NAFEX] Newtown Spitzenburg apple

Pete Tallman pete_tallman at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 9 14:27:34 EST 2010

I have an unknown apple that I picked up as budwood in the Hudson Valley 20+ years ago. After a long survey, and aided by an almost perfect fall ripening season this year, I'm thinking the identity may be Newtown Spitzenburg. This would be consistent with the location I originally gathered the variety (long story for another time) and with all of the descriptions and pictures I have been able to find. Ripening at the end of October, which is rarely possible for me, it has been really delicious eating this year. I sent a few inquiries out but no luck yet, so I'm throwing this out to the NAFEX list for any opinions in case someone knows the apple.
Photo is at  http://www.flickr.com/photos/60116641@N00/

Pete TallmanLongmont, CO    zone 5 or so