[NAFEX] Listing from old BCN catalog

Dr. Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Tue Mar 23 14:44:03 EDT 2010

Idell,

I still had '98, '99, and 2000 editions of the Bear Creek Nursery catalogs
in my file cabinet.

The only non-grafted/budded plum I've seen in any of those catalogs is beach
plum, P.maritima. Did not see 'Sierra' plum anywhere in there.

I had a couple of seedling beach plums here, from Ken Asmus at OIKOS; in the
ground for over a decade, neither ever threw out any suckers - until the
last one died back a year or two ago, but I'm seeing some suckers popping up
10 ft or so away from the original plant now.

They don't state the species for the Timm & Success seedlings(I have a
couple of those growing here), and I'd always thought they were A.alnifolia
- but the NCGR database lists Success as a hybrid of
A.stoloniferaXalnifolia, and if you read Dirr's treatment of the genus
Amelanchier, it seems that the taxonomists do a lot of 'lumping' or
'splitting', when it comes to classifying specimens, depending upon which
camp (lumpers or splitters) they belong to.

Lucky Pittman

Hopkinsville KY