[NAFEX] Fleshy Hawthorne

R F Hollaus hollaus at comcast.net
Tue Jun 29 13:08:55 EDT 2010

According to Arthur Lee Jacobson "native trees to Seattle" there are
two native species of Black hawthornes.  One hot summer day in
Wilsonville OR I pulled off the road in a traffic jam and started
eating the ecotype one that has the longer spines and slightly
fleshier fruit.  There was not much to taste (very weak) but at
least you can see from my image they are were juicy.  I would
compare them to the fruit of seviceberry but the fruit a little
smaller.
Longspine Black Hawthorne:
http://home.comcast.net/~hollaus/Greens/2009/Hawthorne/BlackHaws.htm

The other closely related species are "shortspine" black hawthornes
of which I have been able to find in Camas WA, but none of any of
which compare in production or flesh quantity to the previously
mentioned "longspines".