[NAFEX] Was: making a gift, now Korean Giant

Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu
Mon Jun 21 22:59:17 EDT 2010

Chris,
My Korean Giant/Dan Bae also came from Bear Creek Nursery - they grafted all their
Asian pears onto Harbin pear(P.ussuriensis) rootstock.
It was an exceedingly 'shy' bearer - don't think it ever set more than 3 fruit in a
year, and the Shinko & Chojuro trees 20 ft away were always loaded.  Juicy, yes; but
no appreciable flavor. Disappointing, to say the least - and as many rave reviews
I've seen from folks on this list, I still have to wonder if mine was mislabeled.
Once it started blooming, it was a challenge staying ahead of the fireblight - and
the last year, I didn't; killed that sucker back to the ground.  I re-grafted the
roostock sprouts to something else.

Lucky