[NAFEX] U-Sask bush cherries

Sarah Kehler Ewing skkewing at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 20 00:12:08 EDT 2010

Hi David and folks,

The Carmine Jewel naturally forms and does well as a 8' multi-stemmed bush, although I have seen some very 'tortured' U of S and nanking cherries forced to grow as 10' tall single trunked trees.  Looked like a lot of pruning work to me, but I found the idea intriguing enough to maybe attempt someday.

I'm assuming you are talking about the Purple Passion apple (Windmill Point Farm/Green Barn Nursery)?  I have two of them entering their second summer.  Mine also came a bit undersized so they are not exactly whips as I hate to prune anything off them yet.

I am also curious as to what the group thinks of the idea of growing an apple bush. Do they need more air circulation than cherries so multi-trunks is a terrible idea or is multi-trunked a good idea in cold areas where die back is a real issue.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB